www.archive-org-2013.com » ORG » O » OBRM

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".

    Archived pages: 12 . Archive date: 2013-08.

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: .. ABOUT THE MUSEUM.. HISTORY OF THE STATION.. THE RAIL YARD BLOG.. DEVELOPMENT DESK BLOG.. © 2010-2012 Oyster Bay Railroad Museum -- All Rights Reserved -- Contact us!.. CLICK HERE.. website designed by chromatrope..

    Original link path: /
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum in scenic Oyster Bay, NY is dedicated to preserving the rich legacy of Long Island's railroad history.. The process of building and funding the museum is currently in progress.. Find the latest news at the.. Development Desk.. The proposed structure for the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum will consist of two major elements:.. An indoor museum exhibit area contained in the historic Oyster Bay railroad station.. An outdoor exhibit area featuring Locomotive #35 and other historic examples of railroad rolling stock.. These will be linked by a short pedestrian path as shown on the plot plan below.. The Museum/Station will also incorporate an Oyster Bay Visitor Center.. The Center will provide information, literature and local promotional material.. It is consistent with, and forms a complementary component to our goal of providing an educational, historical, and family-friendly experience to residents, tourists, and visitors to the hamlet..  ...   located at 102 Audrey Avenue in downtown Oyster Bay.. This interim facility contains selected displays from the OBRM's growing collection, exhibits outlining our ambitious plans for the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum of the future, and a gift shop containing an ever-changing selection of rail-themed merchandise for that special rail buff in your life.. Prior to the completion of the Museum, the Center also offers general Oyster Bay visitor specific services at an ideally located, safe and uncongested site.. INTERACTIVE TOUR.. See the museum as it will look in the near future - and help us along the way.. >>>> TOUR MUSEUM.. Gift memberships - a unique and special way to participate in the OBRM!.. >>>> LEARN MORE.. + Home.. THE MUSEUM.. ABOUT.. NEWS / EVENTS.. THE STATION.. ENGINE 35.. EQUIPMENT ROSTER.. NEWSLETTER.. VOLUNTEERS.. MEMBERSHIP.. CORPORATE SPONSORS.. CONTACT.. + Copyright 2010 - Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.. Oyster Bay, New York 11771.. Email:.. Telephone: (516) 558-7036..

    Original link path: /the_museum.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: The Oyster Bay railroad station was constructed by the Long Island Rail Road in 1889 and served the railroad for 110 years until 1999.. In addition to serving the needs of all of Oyster Bay, it often hosted the town's most notable resident, U.. S.. President Theodore Roosevelt, as he traveled to and from his home at Sagamore Hill.. In 2004, this historic structure was designated a New York State Landmark, The following year the building was acquired by the Town of Oyster Bay and was listed on the Federal Register of Historic Places.. The OBRM intends to restore the station exterior and interior to match original appearance as closely as possible.. The restored structure will then be equipped with  ...   replacement station canopies, and complete renewal of the station interior with replacement of missing interior wainscoting and beams.. In order to create a controlled, energy efficient environment for the museum, all doors and windows will be replaced and a modern heating and air conditioning system will be installed.. The building will be handicapped accessible and ADA compliant.. The interior will be equipped with period-appropriate fixtures including lights, benches and a ticket window to better capture the atmosphere of the station in its heyday.. An alarm system will be added to keep the facility secure.. Finally, the station will be equipped with interactive and educational exhibits for the benefit of the museum visitors.. © Copyright 2010 - Oyster Bay Railroad Museum..

    Original link path: /station_history.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: Welcome to our new website - we hope you will join us and "get on board" for this historic initiative.. We know you will enjoy the ride!.. See the latest developments.. We hope our new site will serve to educate and build support for the important mission of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum - that being, to heighten public awareness, understanding and appreciation of the railroad's role in our heritage and to increase public understanding of rail technology and its impact on Long Island life.. The museum will collect, preserve and interpret the railroad heritage of Long island.. The Oyster Bay Station, built in 1889 and placed on the National Registry of Historic Places will be preserved, restored and will house the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.. The very place that President Theodore Roosevelt used to commute from his home, Sagamore Hill and Washington, D.. C.. will now host families, school children and tourists.. The Museum will incorporate a "Visitor Center" that will showcase and provide information regarding the many Oyster Bay attractions, merchants, restaurants and civic groups.. A "Tourist Trolley" will originate at the new Museum Plaza and transport visitors to the hamlets many attractions.. OBRM has completed a structural analysis and is in the midst of a campaign to complete its restoration.. Locomotive #35 was built in 1928  ...   coach.. This type of car saw service on the LIRR from 1923 thru 1974.. two 25 ton switching diesel locomotives that served the LIRR from 1958 thru 2006.. the restoration of the cab of the World's Fair locomotive.. OBRM is completing the restoration of the 1903 vintage "turntable" that was used to turn steam, and later diesel, locomotives upon their arrival in Oyster Bay for their trip back west.. It too, was placed on the NRHP.. It is located at the OBRM Rail Yard and can be visited on Saturdays between 12 PM to 4PM.. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is working with the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the State of New York, as well as business and civic organizations to create a first class museum that will depict the rich history of the Long Island Rail Road and its impact on the hamlet and the region.. OBRM will provide an experience that will be both educational and enjoyable for the entire family! Through interactive displays and hands-on learning experiences, visitors will be able to know what it was like to work, ride and be part of the Long Island Rail Road's history.. We hope you will join us and "get on board" for this historic initiative.. Click this banner to read the latest developments.. DEVELOPMENT DESK..

    Original link path: /development_desk.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: We can do more.. with the generous support of our sponsors!.. SUMMER SOLSTICE PARTY SPONSOR/DONOR RECOGNITION - 2012.. BENEFACTOR.. Marcella and John Specce.. State Farm Insurance- John Specce Agency.. Lorie and Roger Bahnik.. The Bahnik Foundation.. Carmela and Phil Baldino.. Sandy and Nelson DeMille.. Debra and Claudio DelVecchio.. Glen Cove Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation v.. The Morenberg / Karlson Family.. Eileen and Thomas Pulling.. Robin and Enrique Senior.. Kevin Stansberry.. Marty Ulman.. FIRST CLASS.. Susan Gordon and John Grocki.. COACH.. Susan and Donald Zoeller.. SPECIAL THANKS.. Buckingham's Variety Store.. Canterbury Ales.. Chrison and Bellina.. Christina's Epicure.. Coach Grill and Tavern.. Diageo Chateau & Estates.. Dodds and Eder.. Anthony Fabricante.. Gary Farkash.. 4 U Nail Spa.. Gathering Time Trio.. Lauren Godoy.. Jack Halyards American Bar and Grill.. J & B Auto Repair.. Luce Restaurant.. Martha Clara Vineyards.. Martin Viette Nurseries.. Michael C.. Fina.. Mill Creek Tavern.. Mim's Restaurant.. Moet-Hennessy USA.. Sagamore Graphics.. Sagamore Yacht Club.. Dottie Simons.. Alex Torres and Bill Krushinski.. Judy Wasilchuk.. HOLIDAY EXPRESS 2011.. Thanks to our generous donors.. Please support them as you can.. Bernstein's Hardware.. Canterbury Ales Restaurant.. Chrison and Bellina.. Dodds and Eder.. Funni Business Toy Store.. Gooseberry Grove Ice Cream.. Jack Halyards - American Bar and Grill.. Dottie Simons.. John Specce / State Farm Agency.. Sweet Tomato Healthy Eatery.. Judy Wasilchuk.. What's Cooking?.. Willis Hobbies.. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum expresses its deepest gratitude to the following individuals,  ...   will be listed in our newsletter as a sponsor.. Silver Spike.. - $1,000 up to $2,499.. 1) Your company's banner will be on display at one museum event.. 2) Sponsor listing on the website with a link to your website for one calendar year.. 3) Mention of support in our quarterly newsletter on the Sponsors page.. Golden Spike Club.. - $2,500 up to $4,999.. 1) Your company's banner will be on display at three museum events.. 2) Company identification on all press releases, event materials and OBRM printed material for one calendar year.. 3) Special 1/4 page advertisement in our quarterly newsletter.. 4) Dedicated Web Page with your logo on the OBRM sponsor page of the website with a link to your company website for one calendar year.. Platinum Spike Club.. - Over $5,000.. 1) Your company's banner on display at all museums' events and gift shop area for one year.. 2) Your company's logo and acknowledgment on first page of quarterly newsletter as well as monthly email updates to the museum's membership.. 3) Special 1/2 page advertisement in the quarterly newsletter.. Your company's identification on all press releases, event materials and other printed materials.. 4) Dedicated Web Page with your logo on the front page of the OBRM website with a link to your company's website for one year.. All sponsors will have their names placed on a plaque of honor displayed in the museum..

    Original link path: /corporate.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is always looking for new members to join our ranks.. Anyone wishing to join is encouraged to contact us or simply send a check or money order in the appropriate amount to the address listed below.. The classes of membership and their payment remain as follows:.. Railroad Tycoon.. $1,000 Lifetime Membership.. Railroad Superintendent.. $500 Lifetime Membership.. Trainmaster.. $250.. Engineer.. $100.. Conductors.. $50 - Family.. Brakeman.. $35  ...   use the link below:.. All dues renewals as well as new memberships may be sent to us at Oyster Bay Railroad Museum, PO Box 335, Oyster Bay, NY 11771.. All membership dues as well as donations are fully tax-deductible.. KNOW SOMEONE INTERESTED IN TRAINS? GIVE A GIFT MEMBERSHIP!.. ADDRESS: Membership Oyster Bay Railroad Museum PO Box 335 Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Preview Center: 102 Audrey Avenue Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Phone: 516-558-7036..

    Original link path: /membership.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: We want to hear from you - contact us at the locations below.. To learn more about becoming an OBRM member, upcoming projects and programs, special events, volunteering, or other ways you can "get on board" the important mission of our Museum, please see below.. Mailing Address:..  ...   Visitors Center is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 A.. M.. to 4 P.. 102 Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay, NY 11771, Phone: 516-558-7036.. OBRM Board of Directors.. jspecce@obrm.. org.. bmurphy@obrm.. lgodoy@obrm.. storborg@obrm.. gfarkash@obrm.. rbrusca@obrm.. jwasilchuk@obrm.. dsimons@obrm.. jstoff@obrm.. bbell@obrm.. Map: Oyster Bay Railroad Musuem.. View Larger Map..

    Original link path: /contact.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: The mission of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum (OBRM) is to heighten public awareness, understanding and appreciation of the railroad's role in our heritage and to increase public understanding of rail technology and its impact on Long Island life.. The OBRM will collect, preserve and interpret the railroad heritage of Long Island for future generations.. In October 1990, a group of young volunteers began to clean and paint steam engine locomotive #35 which was stored in Mitchell Field and had fallen victim to vandalism.. This enthusiastic group stuck with their efforts and in time became known as the Locomotive #35 Restoration Committee, a volunteer group under the Nassau County Parks.. In 1994, the group formalized their efforts and created the Friends of Locomotive #35 Incorporated.. The focus of the organization was to raise  ...   501 c-3 educational, not-for-profit Corporation.. With a new name that better reflects its true mission; the organization continues to strive toward the formation of a first class railroad museum in the hamlet of Oyster Bay.. Through the years, the organization has obtained other historical equipment.. Additionally, great strides have been taken toward raising the necessary funding for the restoration of the historic Oyster Bay Railroad Station and Turntable.. Some restoration work has already begun on these and other projects and the members remain dedicated to seeing this effort through to fruition.. To this end, on Feb 2nd 2008, the Museum opened its Preview Center to the public.. Located at 102 Audrey Avenue in downtown Oyster Bay, the center is perfectly situated just around the corner from the museum's historic train station and rail yard..

    Original link path: /about.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: "The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum in scenic Oyster Bay, NY is dedicated to preserving the rich legacy of Long Island's railroad history.. ".. The OBRM is constantly changing and growing.. RECENT NEWS.. In case you missed it - here is the May 22, 2010 Newsday article, written by Bill Bleyer, regarding the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum's Phase 1 efforts to restore historic LIRR Steam Locomotive #35's running gear & tender.. LIRR steam train gets prepped for restoration.. Originally published: LI Newsday May 22, 2010 10:35 PM - Updated: May 22, 2010 10:51 PM - By BILL BLEYER.. Ronnie Jones attached a steel and brass quartering gauge to one of the 68-inch  ...   the axle.. His measurements were among thousands the restoration firm made during a five-day visit last week to the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.. "We're figuring out what condition the locomotive is in and what we have to do to make it operational again" so it can run on the museum's grounds, said company president Scott Lindsay.. Five years ago, the Birmingham, Ala.. , company surveyed the boiler that generated steam in the locomotive, which was retired in 1955.. On this visit, the three-man team checked out the rest of the engine and tender, which carried coal and water, to see what can be restored.. Read the entire article -.. click here..

    Original link path: /news_events.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: Locomotive #35 was constructed in 1928 in the Juniata PA shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad for service on its subsidiary, the Long Island Rail Road.. After 27 years of faithful service, Loco #35 was formally retired in 1955.. This Class G5s locomotive employed the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and was specifically designed to meet the demands of commuter passenger service.. It was capable of rapidly accelerating large trains of passenger cars from the many stations encountered on each trip.. After 27 years of faithful service, Locomotive #35 was formally retired in 1955 as the railroad replaced its steam locomotives with more efficient diesel-electric machines.. One of the very last steam locomotives to operate on Long Island, Loco #35 was donated by the railroad to Nassau County, and was exhibited for many years in Salisbury (later Eisenhower) Park.. 23 years later the locomotive  ...   locomotive #35.. Attending to the blueprints and measuring tools, were Scott Lindsay and his men from.. Steam Operations Corp.. of Birmingham Alabama.. These men measured all of the pieces from the driving gear and frame of #35, its pilot truck and the runnning gear from the tender as well.. Our volunteers were at the yard assisting them from Wednesday to today.. Rich Brody and Leon Daitz headed up the OBRM staff on hand and were assisted by Doug Kasner.. They also went over the tender shell to see where the metal was too thin and needed replacement.. Before they left to go home down south, we went over the next set of tasks that were needed before the parts went to their shop for the actual machining.. To read the latest news on the progress of the Locomotive #35 restoration click.. HERE..

    Original link path: /engine_35.htm
    Open archive

  • Title: Oyster Bay Railroad Museum
    Descriptive info: "Heavy Metal Objects" - The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum has worked long and hard to obtain, restore, and preserve historical pieces of rolling stock that have played an important role in the development of, not only Long Island, but the country as a whole.. The OBRM Collection represents an enormous investment of "sweat equity", and money.. You can assist in this endeavor by becoming a Member, and by contributing to the Museum's efforts to ensure that these rolling artifacts will be preserved and protected for future generations of rail and history enthusisasts.. CURRENT EQUIPMENT ROSTER.. #.. Type:.. Description:.. Year:.. 35.. Locomotive.. 4-6-0 Class: G5s - Builder: Pennsylvania Railroad, Juniata, PA.. 1928.. 2.. Caboose.. Class: N5 - Builder: Pennsylvania Railroad.. ?.. 12.. Class: N52 (Wood Body) - Builder: American Car & Foundry.. 1927.. 50.. Class: N22 - Builder: International Railway Car Company.. 1934.. 0402.. Cab Unit.. Class: FA-1 - Builder: American Locomotive Company.. 1947.. 7433.. Passenger.. Class: P54 Coach - Builder: American Car & Foundry.. 1923.. 397.. Switcher.. Class: GS-1 - Builder: General Electric.. 1958.. 398.. 738.. Class: BM60 Baggage/Mail - Builder: American Car & Foundry.. 2935.. Class: P72 Coach - Builder: Pullman-Standard.. 1955.. 2956.. 1956.. 32006.. Freight.. Class: Boxcar - Builder: Pullman-Standard.. 1944.. M-1 MU.. Training.. Class: M-1 MU Electric Cab Simulator.. 1995.. Class: G5s Locomotive Engine #35.. Locomotive 35 was built in 1928 by the Pennsylvania Railroad's Juniata Shops.. A G5s class ten wheeler (4-6-0), it has 68" driving wheels and 205 pounds of boiler pressure.. Designed to haul commuters, these relatively small driving wheels let the locomotive accelerate quickly between the closely spaced stations found in this type of service.. Read more about this interesting piece of Long Island Railroad history.. Number 35 was one of the last steam locomotives in service on the LIRR and even participated in the end of steam ceremony as well as being the last LIRR steam engine to haul an excursion in 1955.. Currently, the Locomotive is being restored and the process is moving along steadily.. Most recently phase 1 of the restoration was completed.. OBRM volunteers were at the yard assisting starting on Wednesday and ending Sunday.. For the latest news on restoration at the Museum, particularly the rolling stock, be sure to visit the.. Railyard Blog!.. Class: N5 Caboose #2.. A Pennsylvania Railroad built class N5 number 2, this is what comes to mind when you think of a caboose, with an (almost) centrally mounted cupola.. The history of this car is not clear, except for the fact that is was bought second hand from the PRR.. We are searching for its identity so we can determine its age and former PRR number.. This car is in rough shape with much rusting having taken place over the years.. All of its side windows have been plated over, as had the interior of the cupola.. The worst part is that it suffers from serious rot.. Much sheet metal work will have to be done to replace rusted out sections, and the metal of the frame is quite thin.. The current plan is to restore this car cosmetically, as a lot of work will have to be done to make it road worthy again.. Externally, the car has been painted and lettered and looks much better than it has in years.. Class: N52 Caboose #12.. In the early 1920's the LIRR ordered a fleet of wood bodied, steel framed cabin cars to bring up the rear of its freight trains.. Built by American Car & Foundry, these cars served well for many years.. Most were not retired until the late 1950's.. At that point, a few were sold to private individuals and moved off of Long Island.. One of these cars, #12 built in 1927 for a cost of $17,880, found its way to the Shore Line Trolley Museum in Connecticut where it was used for sleeping quarters by their volunteers.. With alternate sleeping accommodations available in the area, the trolley museum had little  ...   during the middle of the twentieth century, there is probably nothing that symbolized their hours spent riding the rails more than the inside of a Ping Pong coach.. The P-54 class coach operated on the LIRR from 1923 to 1974.. The nickname "Ping Pong" was given to them due the rougher ride they provided, when compared to the heavier wooden coaches they replaced.. This car, #7433, was rescued from the scrap yard thanks to the hard work of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum leadership and the generosity of Island Rail, LLC, a corporate sponsor of the project.. To the best of our knowledge, #7433 is the last of its kind to be preserved with original seating and equipment.. Class: GS-1 Switcher.. The GE GS1 class, 1958 "dinky" switching engine #397 - "Dashing Dan".. The GE GS1 class, 1958 "dinky" switching engine #398 - "Dashing Dottie".. Class: BM-60 Baggage-Mail Car #738.. Built in 1928 as Class BM-60 Baggage-Mail Car by American Car and Foundry (ACF) as LIRR #738.. Converted to Class B-60 Baggage Car (prior to April 1963).. Modernized during the rebuilding program and renumbered #7738.. It was car #468 in the re-modernization series.. (#468 is NOT the car number) Renumbered as #W-74 as listed in the equipment tabulation for January 1, 1976.. ("W" denotes Work Equipment).. The car made it's last official "run" during the mid 1970's as part of trains #204 & #211.. (Greenport / Main Line Round Trip).. Information on this car courtesy of Grover White.. Class: P72 Coaches #2935 & #2956.. The Long Island Rail Road donated two of their recently retired 2900 series coaches to us.. These coaches, numbers 2935 & 2956 were built by Pullman Standard in 1955 and 1956 respectively and were classified as P72.. As built, they were steam heated and used batteries for lighting but were rebuilt in the early 1970's with under car diesel generator sets to provide power for lighting, heating and air conditioning.. 2956 seats 123 people and 2935 seats 118 but provides a toilet.. They currently wear the last paint scheme the LIRR used for these cars, but originally wore charcoal grey sides and ends and a dark green roof.. They will be returned to these colors when they are restored.. Even though they entered service the year #35 was retired, the history of these cars will always be linked with our locomotive.. At the end of steam ceremony held on October 8, 1955, two steam locomotives each pulled a single 2900 series coach (#35 from the West and #39 from the East) to Hicksville where a new diesel locomotive took over for the return trip.. Class: Freight Boxcar.. This 40' boxcar was made for the New York, New Have & Hartford (NYNH&H) railroad, better know as the New Haven, by the Pullman-Standard corporation in 1944.. It was part of an order of 2000 cars numbered 31000-32999.. As the LIRR had an interchange with the New Haven, cars of this type would often have been found on LIRR freight trains.. The car wound up being used bythe LIRR's shop forces for storage at their Morris Park facility for many years, renumbered as LIRR SHOP 100.. Now donated to us, we will use it in a similar fashion in Oyster Bay where it will serve as a shop/storage area as well an historic example of mid-century freight railroading.. Although it looks a bit rough, the car is actually in fairly good condition and will be restored to its original New Haven livery.. NEW 2011 ADDITION!!.. Class: MU Training.. The one-quarter length model of an MU was used to simulate operating rail conditions for training and certifying Long Island Rail Road engineers.. The M-1 was acquired by the LIRR in 1995 and saw usage up until a few years ago, when the carrier began using the current Model M-7 cars, and phased out all M-1 equipment.. The Model M-1 weighs approximately 5,000 lbs.. It is 10'8" wide, 11'6" high and 12'3" long..

    Original link path: /equipment_roster.htm
    Open archive


  • Archived pages: 12